My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado, United States

I have faith and passion in humanity. The world needs a change, I am here to see that happen.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Misunderstandings

Do you ever feel like you are going nuts because no one seems to understand what you are saying? I do. Good thing that my wife truly understands me, or I'd be screwed. I have spent the last few days arguing with friends and family over various political, religious and philosophical issues yet I still feel like they have no idea what I really said. Maybe I need to be more clear.

I am what I consider to be a "weak atheist." Here is a good synopsis of that...

A person whose worldview embraces Atheism [noun] [OW]. The natural condition of all humans at birth and prior to indoctrination in or self-invention of Theism. Atheists claim there is no proof for God[s]. "Strong" Atheists claim God does not exist. "Weak" Atheists do not deny the possibility of God[s], or that proof might eventually be discovered. Atheist and atheist are Fundie synonyms of Atheist [SD]. The word Atheism [CE] derives from the Greek atheos, a = without, theos = God.

I am neither "anti-religion" (although sometimes, I admit, I do feel a bias...I am human). Nor am I a nihilist,

a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless b : a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths.

The US Constitution is my "bible" and I would like to get to know it much better. I still think it is the best document to date that allows humanity the potential to become all it can. I also do not claim that science has all the answers, but I am glad that science puts its best foot forward, tests and puts theories out there using deductive (deduction - the deriving of a conclusion by reasoning; specifically : inference in which the conclusion about particulars follows necessarily from general or universal premises ) reasoning instead of inductive (induction- inference of a generalized conclusion from particular instances ) reasoning.

I have no other choice other than to put my "faith" in humanity. All that I reasonably believe that I can affect is here on earth. I refuse t believe that where we are in the 21st century is the pinnacle of what humanity is capable. Mutually Assured Destruction, corporation and selfishness are the highlights of this century. NO. Humanity is capable of great things and I intend to help that process along. I don't need religion to do it. *Gasp* I have values without it.

Life may be so much simpler if I just acquiesce to "God" and moved on, but I can't without proof. If a person makes an extraordinary claim , it is his/her burden to provide extraordinary proof, not my duty to disprove them. Until then, I do not worship, I do not concern myself with "God." Much as I do not concern myself with the beginning of the universe. For one, it is too sublime. For all I know there was no beginning. Interesting to say the least.

Too much Info, too little responses...

Dustin


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely love this. In other words, I concur with and respect everything said here.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home